The North Central District Health Department (NCDHD) is your Local Public Health Department
Proudly serving the counties of Antelope, Boyd, Brown, Cherry, Holt, Keya Paha, Knox, Pierce, and Rock
We offer the following programs and services:
- Environmental Health – radon, mold, West Nile Virus
- Immunizations – including flu shots
- Substance Abuse Prevention
- Veteran Services
- Dental Services
- Worksite Wellness – on-site wellness screenings
- Emergency Response / Preparedness
- Disease Surveillance
- FREE colon cancer screening kits
For more information about our different services, visit our Programs & Services page.
What is public health?
Public health protects and improves the health of all people and the communities where they live, learn, work, and play, by working to:
- prevent and control diseases and injuries
- keeping the environment clean, healthy, and safe
- promote healthy lifestyles
Components of a well-functioning public health system:
- strong partnerships who recognize they are part of the public health system
- effective channels of communication amongst partners
- system-wide health objectives
- resource and information sharing
- feedback loops among state, local, tribal, territorial, and federal partners*
*(Source: United States Public Health 101 presentation created by CDC)
The 10 Essential Public Health Services
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent public health and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
For location and phone numbers, visit our Contact Us page.
Last updated 04/25/2017.